Another FTP error condition

I’ve been working on and off on a FTP script. I’ve made some progress but I’m still having troubles.

My Question is what does “-30744 Unsupported scheme” - error mean?
I’ve pasted the script below. TIA

try
	set filespec to alias "Ti550:DataFiles:"
	with timeout of 120 seconds
		tell application "URL Access Scripting" to download "Ftp:****:****@ftp.ode.state.oh.us" to filespec download directory [true] with progress
	end timeout
on error errmesg number errNum
	if errNum is -128 then
		display dialog "You quit downloading a file: the  applet " & "will quit now"
	else
		display dialog (errNum as text) & " : " & errmesg & return & return & "an error occurred during the " & "download. Try running the applet again."
	end if
end try

Have you tried a well-formed URL? (eg, “ftp://user:pass@ftp.server.com/”, instead of “Ftp:user:pass@ftp.server.com”)

tried it after your post. Didn’t help. I got the same error. Thanks for the suggestion.

Paul

This syntax works for me, or doesn’t work some times. I must tell you that UAS is an app pretty buggy:

tell application "URL Access Scripting"
	download "ftp://user:password@ftp.server.com/dir" to file "path:to:whatever:dir:" with download directory and progress
end tell

I’d better use “curl” and a recursive routine…

jj, I’m not much of a unix guru. What do you mean by your quote above I don’t understand?

Paul

I’m neither, but a newbie at *nix world. Just type “man curl” in a terminal window and you’ll see lots of options. It allows downloads, uploads, directory listings, use post data, cookies, etc.
However, I can’t find a switch for entire directories. I supposse you must retrieve file listings and download each one individually to replicate the folder structure.
Url Access Scripting, as I told you, is a buggy thing. It never really worked fine for me since OS 8.6 times… The code I posted above works some times, but it also throws several different errors without previous advice.
If you are interested in the “curl” stuff, you could post a new thread asking for it.
There are some alternative command-line utilities, which could be more powerful than “curl”, such as “cURL” or “wget” (but, definitivelly, I’m not a *nix guru ;-))

Thanks for the info. I will look into curl and the other utilities that you mentioned. What I’m trying to do is clear out a directory of deposited files on an ftp server. I need to move the files to an internal server and then process them. I’ve gotten most of the rest done. I just need to get the files where I can process them. Thanks for the advice.

Paul

Ok, I’ve been futzing with my script off and on for the past couple of days. When I ran it this morning it launched classic. I’m assuming that it is looking for the Classic Version of URL Access scripting and maybe that is why I’m getting unsupported scheme. I deleted the URL access scripting from my classic system folder but the script still trys to locate it and then locks up.

How do I point my script to the OS X version of URL access scripting?

Paul

Simply recompiling it should locate and make valid your script. If you are prompted to locate it, just point to “/System/Library/ScriptingAdditions/URL Access Scripting”

Actually I had to delete the classic version of URL access scripting before it would work. Is there anyway for me to determine what "Unsupported scheme means?

Paul