Check if GUI element in the menu bar is available/visible? [SOLVED]

I’m using Keyboard Maestro to run a script to click the menu bar to Pause/Resume Google Drive’s sync, but sometimes I get an error and I would like to know if I can use AS to check if a certain GUI element in the menu bar is visible/available?

Right now I have a script, but sometimes it throws me an error like this (this is KM’s log):

Execute an AppleScript failed with script error: text-script:114:207: execution error: System Events got an error: Can’t get group 3 of UI element 1 of window 1 of process "Google Drive". Invalid index. (-1719)

So I’m assuming it’s because it’s not being fast enough. I could increase the delay, but I was wondering if I could pause the macro and wait for each element to be visible or available?

Here’s the script

tell application "System Events"
	tell process "Google Drive"
		click menu bar item 1 of menu bar 1
		delay 0.2
		click pop up button 1 of group 1 of group 1 of group 1 of group 3 of UI element 1 of window 1
		delay 0.2
		click menu item 4 of menu 1 of group 1 of group 2 of group 1 of group 3 of group 1 of UI element 1 of window 1
		delay 0.2
	end tell

end tell

For example this is the icon:

Then when the window opens up, this is the icon I need to click:

Then after that, I click the Resume syncing / Pause syncing

I found this topic, tested the script using Safari and it indeed showed me a list of elements:

Script:

tell process "Safari"
		set visible to true
		return every UI element of front window
		return name of every UI element of front window
	end tell
end tell

So I would guess that the menu bar can also be scanned and check if element XYZ is visible or not?

You can insert repeat loops to wait until a specific UI element exists for example

repeat until exists pop up button 1 of group 1 of group 1 of group 1 of group 3 of UI element 1 of window 1
			delay 0.2
		end repeat
		click pop up button 1 of group 1 of group 1 of group 1 of group 3 of UI element 1 of window 1
		repeat until exists menu 1 of group 1 of group 2 of group 1 of group 3 of group 1 of UI element 1 of window 1
			delay 0.2
		end repeat
		click menu item 4 of menu 1 of group 1 of group 2 of group 1 of group 3 of group 1 of UI element 1 of window 1
	end tell
end tell
1 Like

So basically it’s repeating the delay, right?

Do you know if it’s possible to check if a certain element has a specific text?
For example the menu option I end up clicking at the end, is either Resume Syncing or Pause Syncing and based on what option is selected, I would like Keyboard Maestro to run a certain action.

When I use UI Browser on each option I get this:

SCR-20240215-kyvb
SCR-20240215-kzak

So I guess I would use some sort of “IF THEN” action?
To make it work with KM, I think the best option is to maybe set a variable to value A if it’s “Pause Syncing” or to value B if it’s “Resume Syncing” and then KM will check the value of that variable and will go to action A or action B.

How would I be able to check that text?

EDIT:
After doing some research I got to this and in Script Debugger I am able to get the name, so I’m getting closer :wink:

return name of menu item 4 of menu 1 of group 1 of group 2 of group 1 of group 3 of group 1 of UI element 1 of window 1

EDIT 2
More research got me here:

if name of menu item 4 of menu 1 of group 1 of group 2 of group 1 of group 3 of group 1 of UI element 1 of window 1 is "Pause Syncing" then
			display dialog "Yes"
		else
			display dialog "No"
		end if

So I am able to see the dialog boxes depending on the text. One step closer. Now the next step is to define the variables, which I believe will be easy

Final edit:

if name of menu item 4 of menu 1 of group 1 of group 2 of group 1 of group 3 of group 1 of UI element 1 of window 1 is "Pause Syncing" then
			--display dialog "Yes"
			set syncingState to "Resumed"
		else
			--display dialog "No"
			set syncingState to "Paused"
		end if

Now after this, it’s all Keyboard Maestro :slight_smile:

Thanks @StefanK once again for your precious help! :raised_hands:

Yes, the AppleScript terminology is pretty descriptive in this case

repeat until exists ...
1 Like

Final script

repeat until exists pop up button 1 of group 1 of group 1 of group 1 of group 3 of UI element 1 of window 1
			delay 0.2
		end repeat
		repeat until exists menu 1 of group 1 of group 2 of group 1 of group 3 of group 1 of UI element 1 of window 1
			delay 0.2
		end repeat
			set syncingState to "Paused"
		else
			set syncingState to "Resumed"
		end if
	end tell
end tell