Snapshot of Web Page, exported into .jpeg

Is it possible to take a snap shot of an entire web page saving that snapshot to a folder with a specific name, replacing the file if need be.

The plan is to have a local homepage that will have 100x100 image placeholders, inside the placeholders will be images of corresponding websites. It’s a more dynamic bookmark to me. I want to see the front page to see if there are changes without having to open the entire site.

thanks,
Clayton

Hi Clayton,

You could try Paparazzi!. A free app that captures webpages. It is Applesciptable:

set myLink to "http://www.apple.com"
tell application "Paparazzi!"
	activate
	capture myLink
	repeat
		delay 1
		if not busy then exit repeat
	end repeat
	save as JPEG in (((path to desktop) as text) & "myImage.jpeg")
end tell

You’ll probably want to play around with ‘crop size’ if you don’t want images that span several pages. You’d also have to resize the images once they are saved, I’m sure this is possible via image events.

Best wishes

John M

Thanks John, Paparazzi! works great. I was originally told to create a flash script and run it with Zinc… this is a lot better.

My only question (I ask hoping I can get an answer faster/better than googling) is how can I make the applescript run when I open my Browser, or make it run whenever I click on my page that uses these images taken by Paparazzi!.

Thanks,
Again

Hi Clayton,

This would depend on what result you want. To update all the images via the script every time you access the page (if you could arrange it to work.) would mean a very long load time.

I’d suggest you might want to set up a schedule to run your script (with cron, launchd, iCal or whatever) perhaps daily or hourly, depending on how immediately you need to know of changes.

Best wishes

John M